Minutes Accepted and filed with the Town Clerk on- 11/03/2009 by a vote 4-0__
7:00 p.m. – October 20, 2009
Sutton Town Hall, Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Members in Attendance:
John Hebert, Chairman; Richard Herson, Vice-Chair; Kevin Geraghty, Clerk; Member Michael Chizy and Ryan Fattman
Also in Attendance: James Smith, Town Administrator; Debbie Jacques, Administrative Secretary
Chairman Hebert calls the meeting to order at 7:00 followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
No Comments under Public Forum.
Selectman Geraghty motions to approve October 6, 2009 minutes as presented, Selectman Chizy seconds passes 3-0-2
Selectman Geraghty motions to approve and not to be released until a later date October 6, 2009 Executive Session Minutes, Selectman Chizy seconds passes 3-0-2
Appointment of a Liaison to the State Ethics Commission: TA Smith informs BOS that there has been a recent change in the State Ethic Laws. The change requires the BOS to appoint a Liaison from the Town to the State Ethics Commission. TA Smith has requested he be appointed to this position. Town employees will be required to take an online training program every two years followed by a 25 question exam. This will take place beginning April of 2010. Selectman Fattman motions to appoint Town Administrator James Smith as the Sutton Liaison to the State Ethics Commission, Selectman Hersom seconds passes 5-0
Set Special Election for November 24th, 2009: This special election is needed to approve funding of the towns portion of the Whittier Farms APR that was presented and passed at the Fall Town Meeting as Question One. The poles will be open from 7am to 8pm. Selectman Hersom motions to hold a Special Election on Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 from 7am-8pm and further motion that the following Question One be placed on the special election ballot Selectman Chizy seconds passes 5-0
Shall the Town of Sutton be allowed to exempt from the provisions of Proposition 2 1/2, so-called, the amount required to pay for the bond issued in order to contribute funds to be used by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to acquire an agricultural preservation restriction held by the Town and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on property owned by Whittier Farms, Inc., located on Town Farm Road and Douglas Road, Sutton and containing a total of 314 acres, more or less?
Town Administrator Update:
- Reminder that quarterly tax bills are due November 2nd.
- Energy Update and Solar Project for the ELC will be presented on November 3rd.
- Quint Ladder Truck contract has been executed with Pierce Manufacturing for $732,000.00
- Letter sent to Guy Glodis thanking him for the painting of the Town Hall.
- Annual Halloween Parade on the common to be held on October 31st at 6:00
- Selectman Fattman reminds all of the 2nd Annual Fall Fest which is to be held Friday, October 23rd at Marions Camp. It is BYOP (bring your own pumpkin)
- Selectman Chizy reminds residents of the Food Pantry with the holidays coming.
- Selectman Hersom asks TA Smith if the action items at the Goals & Objective meeting have been prioritized. Jim will present at a later date.
- Chairman Hebert commends TA Smith in regards to a successful Fall Town Meeting.
- Selectman Geraghty agrees with John on the Town Meeting and the work that goes into it. Kevin would also like to commend TA Smith and Knick Nunnemacher, $850,000.00 was appropriated at Spring Town Meeting and the truck came in at $732,000.00 ($150,000.00 under the approved amount).
- All Selectmen agree that it is important to remind voters to get to the Special Town Election and vote.
Selectman Geraghty motions to enter into Executive Session under MGL Chapter 39, § 23B, #3 To discuss strategy with respect to collective bargaining or litigation with the sole purpose of re entering the public meeting for sole purpose of adjourning, Selectman Fattman seconds passes 5-0
Meeting Adjourned 7:32pm