Minutes Accepted and filed with the Town Clerk on 12/01/09 by a vote 3-0-1
7:00 p.m. – November 17, 2009
Sutton Town Hall, Selectmen’s Meeting Room
Members in Attendance:
John Hebert, Chairman; Kevin Geraghty, Clerk; Members Michael Chizy and Ryan Fattman
Also in Attendance: James Smith, Town Administrator; Debbie Jacques, Administrative Secretary
Chairman Hebert calls the meeting to order at 7:00 followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
No comments under Public Forum
Selectman Fattman motions to approve November 3, 2009 minutes as presented, Selectman Chizy seconds passes 3-0-1
Selectman Fattman motions to approve and not to be released until a later date November 3, 2009 Executive Session Minutes, Selectman Chizy seconds passes 3-0-1
Appointment of Lea Ann ONeill to the School Building Committee: Lea resides at 280 Mendon Road and feels her background and experience in construction management will be an asset on this committee. The BOS all thank her for her for her willingness to volunteer and feel with the heightened activity on the school project she will be a great asset. Selectman Chizy motions to appoint Lea Ann O’Neill to the School Building Committee, Selectman Fattman seconds passes 4-0
Holiday Opening Schedule for all Alcohol License holders: TA Smith informs the BOS that this is an annual request during the holiday season. Selectman Geraghty reads the scheduled changes that affect the alcohol license holders. Hearing no comments, Selectman Fattman motions to ratify the revised pouring hours during the upcoming holiday season, Selectman Chizy seconds passes 4-0
Board of Selectmen scheduled meetings for 2010: The BOS review the 2010 calendar and discuss a few minor changes that would result in meetings back to back. The BOS all agreed to schedule the 2nd meeting in January to the 26th and still have the 1st meeting in February on the 2nd. They also agreed to remove the November 2nd meeting due to a gubernatorial race that day.
Town Administrator contract extension: TA Smith begins by saying the contract negotiations were held with Selectmen Chizy and Hersom. TA Smith felt it was a very fair process and was happy to have it squared away prior to the budget process. Selectman Chizy replies that there was give and take but the most significant change is the change from a 3 year contract to a 4 year contract. Mike goes on to say that it shows a commitment to the town as well as to TA Smith. Selectman Fattman compliments Mike and Rick for the outcome of the negotiations. He feels it is a fair and competitive contract. Selectman Geraghty says that this contract shows a desire and willingness on both parties. He goes on to say that he is happy to extend the relationship with the Town Administrator for an additional 4 years. Chairman Hebert says that TA Smiths
character and level of communication shows in his evaluation score. He goes on to say it is a win win for the town. TA Smith personally thanks the BOS and looks forward to continued success. Selectman Chizy motions to approve the employment contract of the Town Administrator effective January 1, 2010 thru December 31, 2013 Selectman Geraghty seconds passes 4-0
Town Administrator Update:
- DOR has certified our Free Cash as of July 1, 2009 in the following amounts:
General fund $656,864: Sewer Enterprise Fund $427,037. and the Transfer Station $-8,516.
- Special Election Tuesday Nov. 24th for the Debt Exclusion for Whittier Farm APR
- Budget Update: proposed cuts include the PILOT program and the Quinn Bill amounting to $60,000.in reductions from the State.
- Letter forwarded to the Sutton delegation regarding the Ethics Law being an unfunded mandate
- Solar RFP almost ready to be sent out. It will be in 3 phases
- Regionalizing Public Health services in the Blackstone Valley area: contacted by UMASS Medical School to be part of a one year study. There is no obligation and no commitment. TA Smith feels this would help towns be more cost conscious. Towns that have already committed are Grafton, Uxbridge Northbridge. After brief discussion Selectman Fattman motions to authorize the Town Administrator to enter into a study with Region 4 regarding Public Health purposes Selectman Chizy seconds passes 4-0
- Selectman Geraghty commends the Sutton Fall sports teams and their successful season.
- Selectman Chizy reminds residents of the Food Pantry with the holidays coming.
- Selectman Fattman thanks the Sutton Women’s Club for inviting TA Smith and himself to their meeting last week.
Chairman Hebert thanks the BOH for their hard work and dedication over the past few weeks with the Swine Flu
Selectman Chizy motions to adjourn the meeting, Selectman Fattman seconds passes 4-0
Meeting Adjourned 7:50pm