High bids postpone Marion’s Camp improvements
BY TOM REILLY
Town Administrator Jim Smith recommended to the board at their June 1 meeting that the town pull back bids for parking lot and drainage work at Marion’s Camp after an initial round of bids came in higher than expected and the deadline for the beach opening was approaching.
He said it was important to get the beach ready for the summer season. If the project was re-bid in its current form, said Smith, the work would run through the summer season and the beach would not be available to residents. The current low bid for the work came to $188,000, said Smith, who had been looking for something more in the range of $150,000.
He thought that the landscaping in particular could be scaled back “severely.” While he praised the design work done by Gates Leighton, he admitted that it might be “too elaborate” for what the town needed. Taking out the landscaping would significantly lower the bids by as much as $50,000, Smith believed.
Smith said the stripped down project could be re-bid and then completed once the beach was closed at the end of the summer. Selectman John Hebert asked that the approaches to the beach be made as safe and attractive to the public in the absence of an RFP before the beach opens. Smith said that this work is already underway.