Public Records Requests

How to Obtain a Public Record

Providing copies of public documents is an important service we provide. In most cases, a request for information such as research, vital records and other documents require a payment before we can provide the service. The fees for Birth, Death and Marriage Certificates are provide below. The Public Record Law allows ten (10) days to fulfill a request for a public record, however, in most cases; we are able to accommodate your request within a day. To expedite your request, please have the Vital Records Request Form filled out and completed prior to visiting the Town Clerks office.

How to Obtain a Copy of a Birth, Death or Marriage Certificate

The records of Sutton births, deaths and marriages are maintained in the Office of the Town Clerk starting from 1738 and continuing to the present date. Copies of vital records may be obtained in person or by mail upon the payment of $5.00 a certified copy.

Birth Certificate

The Sutton Town Clerk will have birth records for anyone whose parents lived in Sutton at the time of birth. The fee for a certified copy is $5.00.

Death Certificates

The Sutton Town Clerk will have death records of any death that occurred in Sutton and copies of Sutton residents whose death occurred within Massachusetts. The fee for a certified copy is $5.00. 

Marriage Certificates

The Sutton Town Clerk will have marriage records of any couple that filed their marriage intentions in Sutton. A certified copy of the marriage certificate is available for $5.00.

State Registry of Vital Records and Statistics

If you are not sure whether the record you seek is filed locally, you may contact the state Registry of Vital Record and Statistics. The Registry maintains a central index and has copies of records of all births, deaths and marriages that occurred in the state.

Certified copies may be obtained by the Registry in person, by mail or phone. You should be prepared to provide the name of the subject(s) of the record, the date of the event and, if know, the town where the event occurred.

For further information please call (617)740-2600 or email at